Solidarity Statement Against Indonesian Police Brutality
We, the undersigned, strongly condemn the violent attack by the Indonesian police against a peaceful demonstration in SAPE Harbor on Christmas eve that killed three (3) protestors and injured at least twenty-nine (29) others.
The brutality perpetrated by the police is totally unacceptable, especially as the protestors were exercising the right to express their demands and sentiments against the Bima Gold Mine Project, an undertaking that has grave and harmful consequences on the environment and the lives of community residents.
We express our solidarity with the demonstrators who have been legitimately fighting for their rights and protecting the interests of their community against the profiteering of Arc Exploration, an Australian owned company.
We demand that the Australian government probe into the role of Arc Exploration in the violent attack and the company's possible collusion with the Indonesian police. Equally important, we call on the Indonesian government to investigate the brazen assault by Indonesian authorities and hold accountable those responsible for the killings and injuries suffered by the victims.
Regional and International Networks
- Jubilee South Asia Pacific Movement on Debt and Development (JSAPMDD)
- Alternatives Asia
- Bienfaisance et Developpement
- Comité pour l'Annulation de la Dette du Tiers Monde (CADTM)
- Focus on the Global South
- LDC Watch
- Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA)
- Pan African Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA)
- South Asian Alliance for Poverty Eradication (SAAPE)
- World Rainforest Movement (WRM
Asia and the Pacific
- Bangladesh Krishok Federation
- EquityBD, Bangladesh
- Jatiyo Sramik Jote, Bangladesh
- Online Knowledge Society, Bangladesh
- SUPRO, Bangladesh
- VOICE, Bangladesh
- Climate Group – Beyond Copenhagen Coalition, India
- Indian Social Action Forum (INSAF)
- mines, minerals and People (mm&P), India
- Institute for Essential Services Reform (IESR), Indonesia
- Koalisi Anti-Utang (KAU), Indonesia
- KRUHA, Indonesia
- WALHI – Friends of the Earth, Indonesia
- Solidaritas Perempuan, Indonesia
- Yayasan Palung, Indonesia
- ATTAC, Japan
- All Nepal Women Association (ANWA)
- All Nepal Peasants' Federation (ANPFa)
- Campaign for Climate Justice Network (CCJN), Nepal
- Human Rights Alliance Nepal
- Jagaran Nepal
- Rural Reconstruction Nepal (RRN)
- Pakistan Kissan Rabita Committee
- Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum
- Alliance of Progressive Labor (APL), Philippines
- Alyansa Tigil Mina (ATM), Philippines
- Aniban ng Manggagawa sa Agrikultura (AMA), Philippines
- Assalam Bangsamoro People's Association (ABPA), Philippines
- Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino (BMP), Philippines
- Ecological Society of the Philippines
- Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) – Philippines
- Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) – Cebu, Philippines
- Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) – Iloilo, Philippines
- Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) – Negros, Philippines
- Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) – Southern Mindanao, Philippines
- Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) – Western Mindanao, Philippines
- Kalayaan-Pilipinas, Philippines
- Makabayan-Pilipinas, Philippines
- Partido ng Manggagawa – Negros, Philippines
- Philippine Movement for Climate Justice (PMCJ)
- WomanHealth, Philippines
- Workers Development Center, Philippines
- Pacific Indigenous Peoples Environment Coalition (PIPEC), New Zealand
- Centre for Civil Society Environmental Justice Project, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban
- Daughters of Mumbi Global Resource Center, Kenya
- African Forum for Alternatives, Senegal
- Friends of the Earth, Sierra Leone (FOESL)
- Labour, Health and Human Rights Development Centre, Nigeria
- 11.11.11, Belgium
- Rettet den Regenwald (Rainforest Rescue), Germany
- Debt and Development Coalition, Ireland
- Campagna per la Riforma della Banca Mondiale (CRBM), Italy
- Fairwatch – Italy
- Ecologistas en Acción, Spain
- Salva la Selva, Spain
- Jubilee Scotland
- Jubilee Debt Campaign, U.K.
- Platform UK
- The Corner House, U. K.
- The World Development Movement, U.K.
- Ecosistemas, Chile
- Fundación de Estudios para la Aplicación del Derecho (FESPAD), El Salvador
- Unidad Ecologica Salavadoreña, El Salvador
- Observatorio de la Deuda en la Globalización, Spain
- North America
- Polaris Institute, Canada
- Alternative Mining Development Policy, U.S.
- East Timor and Indonesia Action Network, U. S.
- Friends of the Earth, U.S.
- New York Climate Action Group, U.S.
- Sustainable energy & Economy Network, Institute for Policy Studies, U.S.
- West Papua Advocacy Team
- Rep. Walden Bello, Akbayan Partylist, Philippines
- Robin Broad
- Matthew Rothschild, Editor, The Progressive, U.S.